Saturday, September 22, 2012

My Interview with author Emery Lee

I met author Emery Lane via her Romantic Historical Fiction Lovers page at Facebook. She is a very sweet lady and writes some very nice romance! I love her DeVere Series! 
Tell me about your most recent literary work.
Thank you so much for asking, Suzan! This is the first time I have ever attempted to write more than one book at a time. I am currently working on three projects!
The first is entitled TREACHEROUS TEMPTATIONS and is a work of steamy historical romance set in my beloved Georgian era. It is also my first full-length novel writing as Victoria Vane. It is contracted with Entangled Publishing for the launch of their brand new Scandalous historical imprint. This book was very much inspired by the novels written in the 18th century in which virtue v. vice and evil v. innocence were the predominant themes. This novel is slated for release in early December!
Here is the "unofficial" blurb:
A reluctant heiress resigned to her fate … Mary Elizabeth Edwardes has one of the largest fortunes in England, but has no desire to leave her quiet country existence… and even less to acquire a husband she cannot choose for herself.
 A dissolute nobleman bent on retribution … Trapped in a duplicitous existence since scandal destroyed his fortune and family name, Lord Hadley Blanchard has spent the better part of a decade posing as a disaffected exile while spying and seducing in the service of the English Crown.
 A dangerous game of seduction, and intrigue …When summoned from abroad by a former lover, Lord Hadley perceives an opportunity for vengeance at last. By employing the full measure of his seductive charm, he woos the ward of the man who destroyed his life, little knowing that winning Mary's fortune will mean risking his own treacherous heart.
My second project is an unanticipated fifth addition to my Devil DeVere series!
I had thought the story complete with the fourth title, but have received so many requests for "more DeVere" that I have indeed come up with a tantalizing storyline in fitting with the series. The book is entitled, JEWEL OF THE EAST and is Salime's story (the Turkish courtesan from THE DEVIL'S MATCH). My major challenge was to find a hero worthy of Salime. He materialized in the form of, Simon Singleton, nicknamed "Sin," a former carousing buddy form DeVere's youth. This is a fabulous story that I think fans of the series will eagerly devour. It is scheduled for a February release from Breathless Press.
A brief teaser:
"Oh, woman! All care-relieving woman. Thou art the true physician to the sickly mind."
 My third project is yet untitled, but is closely connected to JOTE, as it is a spin-off vignette featuring Diana and DeVere. This is a much shorter, steamy read but saying anything more would be a spoiler!
What has been the most exciting thing that has happened as a result of your writing?
Being discovered by people who want to read what I write! LOL!
Seriously, it is so very difficult to be noticed in the current tsunami of digital releases, many by some truly great authors. The last two months, however, have been a blessing for me. AWILD NIGHT'S BRIDE (book #1 in my DeVere series) has hit Amazon's Regency Romance Bestseller list and continues to climb. The rest of the series is also selling strong, and I am hearing from readers almost daily. I am beside myself with happiness!
In all, how many books have you written?
 Seven. Nine if you also count my trade paperback in the DeVere series. My work to date includes:
THE HIGHEST STAKES and FORTUNE'S SON from Sourcebooks, both of which are romantic historical fiction novels writing as Emery Lee
 A BREACH OF PROMISE from Ellora's Cave, my debut erotic historical romance writing as Victoria Vane
My Devil DeVere erotic historical romance series from Breathless Press which is comprised of four (soon to be five) serialized novellas: A WILD NIGHT'S BRIDETHE VIRGIN HUNTRESSTHE DEVIL YOU KNOW and THE DEVIL'S MATCH. I will also have at least 3-4 more releases in the next six months as discussed above.
I've read your series, the Devil DeVere Series, and LOVE IT! What do you hope your readers come away thinking or feeling after reading these books, or any other book you've written?
 My goal in writing this series was to be fresh and original, which is not an easy feat these days! The first two books were meant to be pure entertainment - light, hilarious, and super sexy. The third and fourth books were intended to deliver so much more in regard to depth and emotion.
I also hope to surprise readers with the way that I incorporate real history into even my erotic stories. Based on reader response, I feel that have accomplished these goals. ;P
Who is your favorite author?
I don't really have a single favorite author. I have, however been influenced by many to include the Bronte sisters and Georgette Heyer in my historical works, and Robin Schon and Sylvia Day in my more erotic stories.
What or who inspires you to write?
Because I am such a history geek, (and have a blog to prove it) (http://georgianjunkie.wordpress.com), most of my inspiration derives from history – real people, places, and events. I love bringing to vivid life the dry facts left to us in history books and putting my own twist on these sometimes titillating historical  tidbits.
I've been told that there are many writers out there who are 'organized' and use something called an outline....are you one of those kinds of writers?
Outline? What's that?
Is there a genre that you're just aching to try your hand at?
Yes. While I never see myself straying outside historical fiction, I have ideas for books that span the entire spectrum from straight historical fiction (no romance) to a historical paranormal with elements of mystery and suspense. I hope to be able to develop all of these projects in the next few years.
 How many children do you have and what do they think of your writing?
I have two wonderful sons ages 17 and 20 who have both read and enjoyed my Emery Lee novels, but will never read what I write as Victoria Vane. I would not allow it even if they wanted to, which thankfully, they do not!
You're stranded on a deserted island and it will be at least six months before you're rescued. Who is with you? What would you have to have in order to survive mentally, spiritually, and physically? 
 Who is with me? I would take Bear Grylls.
My other necessities for survival would include:  books, coffee, and Ferrero Rocher chocolates!
What is your biggest joy as it pertains to writing? What is it that keeps you going when you don't really feel like going?
Hearing from fans… and hearing from fans.
Finally, is there a question you wished I had asked? If so, answer it here.
 Question- What can readers expect from me?  Answer – the unexpected!

No comments:

Post a Comment